11 January 2009

sunday morning

I love me some Sundays, especially Sunday mornings. There is little better in this world than sleeping in, making a big breakfast, brewing some coffee or tea and lounging around, enjoying not having to do anything but meander over to the farmers market and see what looks good. This morning, inspired by my new cast iron skillet (seriously, I love you, but it's going to take a while for me to get used to you being so. damn. heavy.) I decided to make a recipe from Orangette that I've had bookmarked for oh, about 3 years. 



Oh lordy, dutch babies are now my new favorite breakfast food. You whir a few ingredients in a blender or food processor. Melt some butter in a cast iron skillet, pour the batter in, throw it in a hot oven for a spell and when it comes out it looks like this:



How can that not be good?? The traditional topping for this is lemon juice and powdered sugar and I also made a blueberry sauce to go along with it, but I think I am a dutch baby purist, because seriously? the tang of the lemon and the sweetness of the sugar with the richness of the dutch baby? Swoon.



Recipe found here. A few notes: If you don't have a cast iron, I read that you can also do this in a glass pie pan, but you would want to have the batter be at room temperature or your pie pan will shatter. Not fun. Also, I used half 2% and half heavy cream and I am pretty sure you can use whatever kind of milk you have in the fridge. I also added a pinch of salt and a few teaspoons of sugar, just because I felt like it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yum. glad you perfected the dish before you try it out for us. in 5 days!!!

Jeffe said...

Hey Jess! I love dutch babies too. Em and I have been making them on and off for two years now. They're like smushing together pancakes and popovers. I agree that as breakfast foods go, they're super good!

Hope Petey likes them too.