18 September 2008

cookin' with jules

I heart my Julia Child apron. Every time I put it on I hear Julia warbling in my head. She's definitely one of my all time faves and one day I'll make the pilgrimage to the Smithsonian where she donated the kitchen her husband Paul built especially for her (Jules was a tall gal and needed special counters made to accomadate her bodaciousness).

Purchased from Pretty Patti.

Under her mug it says "JULIA CHILD, AMERICAN GASTRONOME, BORN IN PASADENA, CALIFORNIA, AUGUST 15, 1912".

Love it. I busted it out last night when I made Pumpkin Bread for my coworkers from this recipe. I added some walnuts and used freshly grated nutmeg (which is my secret weapon - well, I guess not secret anymore - but if you want to add a little somethin' somethin' to your recipe, when it calls for nutmeg, always go for the fresh ground).

I had made the same recipe a few days earlier and when it came out of the oven, it wasn't that sweet. Then I realized I had left out almost all of the sugar. oops. But you know I still ate the crap out of it.

As Jules would say, Bon Appetit!!

1 comment:

alison wadsworth said...

bet ya can't wait til someone calls you a gastronome.